AGENDA FOR U3A GENERAL MEETING TO BE HELD ON Thursday, 21st September 2018 at THE IFACH HOTEL
1) Meeting opened by President, Verity Waddell
2) APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE FROM THE COMMITTEE: Ellen Mitchell sends her apologies. She is currently on business in the U.K.
3) CORRESPONDENCE: We have received notice of an overdue invoice from the Ajuntamiento for hire of the Salon Blau which was previously used for choir practice.
4) MINUTES OF THE LAST GENERAL MEETING held In June have been published on the Website.
5) MATTERS ARISING.
- Press and Publicity:
Christa Yahoob has been co-opted onto the Committee as a Vocal No. 2.
N.B. for info: we introduced a ruling that anything for AOB must be received in writing prior to this Meeting.
6) DATE OF NEXT MEETING Thursday, 18th October, as usual at the SH Ifach Hotel.
Verity Waddell (President)
Introduction of our Speaker today:
Our Guest Speaker today is John Hopwood of U3A Moraira History Group. John will be talking about the history of the Woolworth company.
Frank Winfield Woolworth was the son of a farmer recently returned from the American Civil War and in 1879 at the age of twenty-one he founded the 5 & 10 cents stores which, according to the Guinness Book of Records, became the largest department store chain in the world with more than 4000 almost identical stores located in many countries.
With the profits he built the Woolworth Building in 1912, the tallest “skyscraper” in the world for more than eighteen years and still the 28th tallest in New York, and he paid for the entire cost of the construction – in cash!
It is also the story of members of the Woolworth family, who inherited enormous wealth, and their amazing lifestyles and profligate spending.
You would have to win the biggest ever Euro-millions lottery prize (€190 million) at least ten times to compare with what they had.
They did not spend it wisely!
So, a mixture of great enterprise and endeavour followed by sex, drugs and the most extraordinary spending on lavish houses, amazing jewellery, fast cars and some very poor choices of husbands!
John will illustrate his talk with many extraordinary photographs from the past.